house extensionBefore you can start building a home or house extension, there are two things that you need to do first. First, you need to get all building regulations approval. Next, determine whether planning permission is necessary. You may need both. You may be able to avoid requiring approval for the building regulations if you are extending your property within a certain limit. Before you hire a Myrtle Beach builder, here are some things to consider.

Approvals That You, or a Myrtle Beach Builder, Need To Get For Your House Extension

The Area

Planning permission is required if the extension you are planning to build will take up more than half the garden’s original area.


You will need to apply for planning permission if your extension exceeds thirteen feet in height and is within two feet and size inches from the boundary, regardless of how large or small the extension is.

Conservation Area

Environment will always be first, so it is vital to preserve what cannot easily be replaced. Permission is required for any building extension in an area of exceptional natural beauty. A general contractor Myrtle Beach can help you with this.


This is an essential factor in any type construction or home expansion. Planning authorities will approve any addition to a house that exceeds the highest part of its roof.

Listed Building

Any listed building must be consented as part of the cultural heritage, which is supported by the National Trust. Based on the extent and complexity of the extension, you may need five types of consent to extend any listed building.

No matter how small the project, planning permission must first be obtained. If the listed building is to be altered or demolished, then the listed building consent must be obtained. A specific consent type is required if the building is a historical monument. Advertisement consent may also be required, although this is not something homeowners would expect. Only if signs or advertisement are to be placed on the building, this consent is required. If you are interested in undertaking a similar project to build an extension to a listed building, there is a substantial concession in that costs for changes to listed buildings that have been used as private residences or charities are not subject to VAT.


Planning consent is required for any extension that extends beyond your home’s main wall or below sixty-five feet from the highway.


If the extension is an separate dwelling, then you need to obtain a planning consent first.

The home extension can be built for the obvious reason of adding living space. Whatever your reason, make sure you get the appropriate approval. Hire trusted custom home builders for help with your project.

If you’re interested in building your dream home, call Dawol Homes now.

Find great home tips on our Facebook page

Dawol Homes
9404 Hwy 17 Bypass,
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
(843) 294-2859

Dawol Homes Sales Office
3100 Dick Pond Rd # E
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588

We build homes in: Cypress River Plantation, Waterway Palms, Waterbridge, Murrells Inlet, Collins Creek, Bellwood Landing, Carolina Forest, Plantation Lakes, North Myrtle Beach, Socastee, Surfside Beach, Pawleys Island, Litchfield Plantation