One of the many benefits of custom-built homes is the ability to design your floor plan. If you don’t take care, these mistakes could prevent your custom home from becoming the home you dreamed of.
Custom Home Mistakes
Room placement is not something to be overlooked
Although it may seem great to have all bedrooms close together, it can be difficult to live in your new home. You might prefer to have the master bedroom separate from the children’s rooms. You should also consider noise and convenience when arranging rooms. It is not a good idea to have all of your bathrooms on the same floor as your laundry room.
Do not expect to have a lot of features
A large picture window in your living room can be great, but it should not look directly into the garage of your neighbor or their side yard.
- Consider the layout of your lot when designing your floor plan.
- Think about where your neighbors are, where you have great views
- What the HOA rules are
- Where your driveway must be
- Limit your view to the laundry area.
Do not forget to consider heating and cooling costs
Heating and cooling costs can be a significant expense for any home. There are design options that can make heating or cooling more efficient. Less efficient is more costly and less eco-friendly.
While open floor plans are a popular choice in home design right now, high ceilings and open spaces will require more energy to heat or cool. Open concept is a great design option. However, you should be aware of the extra costs so that you are not surprised when you receive your first electric bill.
It is not the right size
This is a common problem. People often design their homes too large or too small. Too small rooms will feel cramped, uncomfortable, and may be difficult to move in. It is inefficient to use space in rooms that are too large.
Questions you can ask your custom home builder about past projects:
- What specific mistakes can occur during the building process?
- How did the mistake happen, and what caused it?
- When did the mistake first become apparent?
- What was the impact of the mistake on the project timeline and budget?
- What steps were taken to rectify the mistake?
- Was the mistake preventable, and if so, how could it have been avoided?
- Did the mistake cause any long-term damage or issues that will need to be addressed in the future?
- What did you learn from the mistake, and how will you apply that knowledge to future projects?
- How did the mistake impact your relationship with the builder and/or other contractors involved in the project?
- What advice would you give to others who are building a custom home to avoid similar mistakes?
Dawol Custom Homes will help you navigate the home design and floor plan process. This will ensure that you create the home you desire and avoid any planning errors that could hinder your dream. Contact us to discuss your custom home design project.
Find great home tips on our Facebook page
9404 Hwy 17 Bypass,
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Dawol Homes Sales Office
3100 Dick Pond Rd # E
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588
We build homes in: Cypress River Plantation, Waterway Palms, Waterbridge, Murrells Inlet, Collins Creek, Bellwood Landing, Carolina Forest, Plantation Lakes, North Myrtle Beach, Socastee, Surfside Beach, Pawleys Island, Litchfield Plantation